© Marcus Roberts


Bookmark this page |  E-mail this page to a friend

Pages < 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   > 

In 1903 the congregation received a legacy - after legal haggling by the relatives - of just over £342. However at the same time Feldmann and Schnurmann agreed to close the synagogue except to open it for special occasions. When the synagogue did operate it was purely as an adjunct to the requirements of Corinth House at festivals.

In 1906 Feldmann left and Schnurmann took over again. The synagogue was nearly resurrected in 1914. Then some Jewish families had settled in the area and a Mr. Dagutski, the son of a Manchester rabbi offered to lead the services. A meeting was convened with Schnurmann and the synagogue reopened for the duration of March. Unfortunately Dagutski moved away by the end of the month and all the new plans and hopes came to nought.

At this point Schnurmann passed on the custodianship of the congregation to his successor at Corinth house, a Mr. Daniel Leopold Lipson. Lipson was to remain "leader" of the defunct congregation from 1914 until the Second World War.

Lipson carried on at Corinth house with some success and herein lay the continuing Jewish continuity of the town. In 1916 he moved the house to a larger building at 101 Bath Road. However in 1922 the college authorities decided that there should no longer be a Jewish house and the house was down-graded to being just an ordinary college house. This closure was apparently due to a changing perceptions by both parents and college about the need for existence of a specifically Jewish house. To some extent the growing integration of Jewish boys into the private educational mainstream had been felt to lessen the need for separate Jewish schools or facilities.

Post a Comment
Submit to this trail